Wiswrp, the place for pregnancy from all walks of life.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NOTICE: Updated the forum, check your login ability and email me if things are still wonky.

For anyone looking for an account please email wolfie1305@gmail.com with the subject of "WISWRP account" and in the email please include a username. (for anyone previously that emailed me my apologies i've been stupid busy with rl and havn't been able to add you, please resend your email and i'll get you added post haste)

Please visit this link for the rules of conduct for this site. .http://wiswrp.pregfur.org/Forum2/index.php?topic=2624.0

If you would like to be have a gallery or access to the adult stuff, visit your profile and mouse over modify profile, then click on group membership and petition for the group you wish join.

For new signup members, please don't use throwaway email places, we don't spam people.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Well that was a bit of... something  (Read 130 times)

Orbatrix

• Adult
  • Ready to Drop
  • Yes, no, Maybe...
    • View Profile
Well that was a bit of... something
« on: July 07, 2017, 09:56:45 am »

oh dears

Roxxas

• Adult
  • Whoa! Pregnant!
    • View Profile
Re: Well that was a bit of... something
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 10:22:41 am »

??????
[

Orbatrix

• Adult
  • Ready to Drop
  • Yes, no, Maybe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 01:10:53 pm »

there was a bit of a server crash a few days back

Wolfie

• Administrator
  • Whoa! Pregnant!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 03:13:54 pm »

how odd o.o i was out on a road trip so i wasn't even aware.
we all try our hardest at what we do, it's the great ones that understand its not what you do, it's how you do it and accomplish it and embrace there strength despite anyone's opposition.

Charles Bowditch

• Whoa! Pregnant!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 01:23:47 am »

Well, if you want something, I've got a scoop for you.

If anybody caught the 12 o'clock News on BBC Radio 2 yesterday, it turns out NHS figures showed that over 40% of UK maternity wards closed their doors to expectant mothers at least once last year - a survey showed most common reasons being shortages of staff or lack of beds or being overwhelmed.
All this info was obtained by the Labour Party (no pun intended).

Ministers say that the temporary closures were "well-rehearsal safety measures" whilst from the Royal College of Midwifes says they were part of "a worrying trend" - and it's getting worse...and this is meant to be only occasional.

Indeed, 42 out of 96 trusts had shut their doors temporarily on 382 occasions! In fact one maternity ward at a teaching hospital closed their doors to newcomers for more than 30 hours! And another one was shut 30 times in a single year, due to insufficient midwives.

In the case of one expectant mother had troubles with TWO maternity wards whilst her baby was being induced - with a 5-day length induction! One ward actually transferred her to a neighbouring maternity ward after spending a week in that hospital, with her pregnancy classed as a risk at that point - even with the induction process started -, only for the second one to say that they wouldn't take her in, and they told her either to "Go back or have your baby on your bathroom floor".
So she was left wondering if she or her baby will be okay, and if there'll be anywhere for her to go.
And this was a first-time mother, a woman with no experience and no idea of what's in store for her, in fact thought this experience, she hadn't slept in 3 days or eaten in 2 days before they finally took her in into have her water broken.

It is upsetting that this is happening to many mothers in maternity in the UK.
And the birth of a baby should an exciting time for the family. Hardly ideal when you're in labor, feeling quite venerable and been told that you've got to go home or can't come in at all because the ward's shut, then end up driving miles and miles to a maternity ward you've never seen and don't know, and deal with nurses & midwifes you've never met.

Imagine being turned away from a maternity ward when you're in labor...

I wonder if this is what inspired Bill Holbrook to have all his pregnancy stories end with homebirths, since Kell's the only one in Kevin & Kell to have her's in hospital in '95.

To get the full story, go to the BBC Radio iPlayer, and check out the 12 o'clock on Tuesday 8th August, on the Jeremy Vine programme, hosted by Vanessa Phelps*

(* = You may have to sign in to iPlayer to hear it, otherwise get the BBC Radio iPlayer app on an Amazon Firestick)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:27:20 am by Charles Bowditch »

Kit7tiin

• Adult
  • Registered
  • "Mommy" is the best person one can be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:02:48 am »

*Soap Box Speech incoming*

To my limited, hearsay, third hand understanding, a needless trend towards the public perception and ASSUMPTION that Child Birth is just 'Supposed To Be' done in a Hospital Bed is a Huge misconception, and a problem for multiple reasons.

One Problem, especially in the United States, or any region with for-profit Hospitals, is that the Doctors want to do Too Much.  There is a huge trend towards unnecessary interventions, resulting in avoidable complications, up to and including forced emergency c-sections due to the whole process being rushed and thrown so out of whack.  The exact OPPOSITE of what you would think Medical Professionals should be doing.

Alternatives that more people should be made aware of (many don't even realize they have options) are the increasing presence of "Birth-Centers", which are midwife run facilities that create a much more relaxed, comfortable and peaceful environment for the joyful day.  The staff must meet medical standards to operate, and have tools and training to deal with emergencies, along with associated/partnered hospitals for if things get too dangerous. 

Home Births with Midwives, and maybe also a Doula, are a much safer and viable option than many realize as well for most births than media and cultural trends have led many to believe. (depending on home environment, and proximity to hospital in-case of emergency, etc).

If there are no pre-known issues or complications, and a Home or Birth Center Birth is an option, for the majority of Mothers-to-be, the experience can be better, and even Healthier for both Mother and Baby alike, resulting in less stress, faster recovery, and more successful breastfeeding after birth, resulting in happier, healthier babies as well.

If more Mothers did research on the alternatives and options available in their area, and the science on the benefits of more natural birth practices, and only made arrangements with the hospitals 'in-case-of-emergency', even a 10-25% increase in out-of-hospital births would decrease the strain on the system, making those Hospital Beds available for those Mothers who have genuine Medical emergencies, and would result in more Happy Mothers and Healthy Babies alike.

/ *Drops Mic and steps off Soap Box*
Pages: [1]   Go Up